A MAJOR Malvern event has been postponed until next year despite organisers previously saying it would continue.
The Three Counties Defence and Security Expo (3CDSE) was due to be held in July a the Three Counties Showground, but continuing concerns around the coronavirus crisis mean it has been postponed until February 2021.
This is despite the organisers saying earlier this month that the event would go ahead.
A statement on the expo website said: "First and foremost, your health and safety and that of our staff and wider colleagues, is always our highest priority and first consideration.
"Working together with our trusted event partners, we have been closely monitoring the coronavirus (Covid-19) situation, and carefully reviewing the daily Government guidance updates.
"Our conclusion at this stage is that 3CDSE will be postponed to February 2 and 3, 2021.
"I am sure you will recognise that this is a decision not taken lightly but is prudent given the national situation arising from the Covid-19 pandemic.
"The decision was reached after full consultation with all key stakeholders including UK Strategic Command equipment capability sponsor, DE&S Delivery Agency and the Three Counties Defence and Security Group.
We continue to build upon the success of the 2019 event which provided a tremendous forum for engagement and discussion both Authority to Industry and Business to Business.
"Last year UK Strategic Command and DE&S reached over 200 companies and were able to share first hand an overview of future requirements and the potential business opportunities within the Special Projects capability area of UK Strategic Command."
3CDSE is supported by the Ministry of Defence, and is held annually to bring together military and civilian groups involved in the defence industry.
Thirty per cent of the event's profits are distributed to military charities with a further 55 per cent donated to the Three Counties Defence and Security Group trade association to support small and medium-sized enterprises to attend future business development events.
Earlier this month, the organisers said the event would go ahead despite other events at the showground being called off. Residents protested, saying it was unrealistic for social distancing to be observed at an event with 2,000 people in attendance.
Date: 30 April 2020
Source: Dudley News